Being in lockdown can have many complex issues and complications. In terms of entertainment, it also probably means you’re in for a lot of boredom, a lot of Netflix, and a lot of browsing the internet.
But there is a way to get a little culture and education while you’re confined to your home.
Follow The List’s Staying In Is the New Going Out articles for more recommendations, alternative online events, press releases, refund policies, restaurant deliveries and further general information.
According to Fast Company, Google Arts & Culture teamed up with over 2500 museums and galleries around the world to bring anyone and everyone virtual tours and online exhibits of some of the most famous museums around the world..
Now, you get to “go to the museum” and never have to leave your couch.
Check it out here.
Upgraded Points have put together an ultimate list of 75 world-class museums that offer virtual tours that you can visit from the comfort of your couch!
Many of the virtual tours include exhibit walk-throughs and the ability to examine some of the world’s best paintings, sculptures, and other pieces up close and personal. These virtual tours are jam-packed with enough details to make you feel like you’re really visiting the museum.
For more click here.
For those who want to surround themselves with nature without the traveling and going-outside aspect of it all, national parks are also providing virtual tours of America’s most popular parks. Virtual visitors can travel through the trails of Yellowstone National Park, as well as the Yosemite National Park.
- Acadia National Park
- Ancient Dwellings
- Arches National Park
- Badlands National Park
- Big Bend National Park
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
- Bruce Canyon National Park
- Bryce & Zion
- Canyonlands National Park
- Carlsbad Caverns
- Channel Islands National Park
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- Death Valley National Park
- Denali National Park
- Dry Tortugas National Park
- Everglades National Park
- Glacier National Park
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Grand Teton National Park
- Great Smoky Mountain National Park
- Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Lechuguilla Cave
- Mesa Verde National Park
- Mount Rainier National Park
- Olympic National Park
- Redwood National and State Parks
- Rocky Mountain National Park
- Sequoia National Park
- Shenandoah National Park
- Virgin Islands National Park
- Wind Cave National Park
- Yellowstone National Park
- Yosemite National Park
- Zion National Park
Some people count on the company of a furry friend at home, but others rely on spaces on the outside world to view them. Thankfully, spaces like the San Diego Zoo, the Georgia Aquarium and the Monterey Bay Aquarium are offering live webcam viewings of pandas, penguins and beluga whales.
- The San Diego Zoo has live and archived videos of pandas, polar bears, giraffes, and other zoo animals. The California zoo has pre-recorded and live video streams showing koalas, apes, pandas, penguins, and other creatures that offer endless hours of entertainment and fascination.
Dartmoor Zoo Virtual Tour – Located 15 minutes from Plymouth this wonderful attraction is home to over 150 animals. Dartmoor Zoo was made famous in “We bought a Zoo” and has since gone from strength to strength. Take a look around here.
Zoo Atlanta – Roly-poly pandas and their antics are a perennial animal-lover favorite. The zoo website has a panda page with a live camera, information on a panda keeper’s job and regular panda news updates — like behaviors, the differences between red pandas and giant pandas and how keepers tell individual pandas apart. Click here.
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden – While the grounds are closed temporarily, zoo patrons can stay connected to their favorite animals through Home Safari Facebook Live sessions, to be offered 3-5 p.m. weekdays starting today. Each session will highlight an animal and provide an activity to do at home. The first safari will feature the zoo’s popular hippo, Fiona. Details: cincinnatizoo.org or Facebook
- Georgia Aquarium – The Atlanta facility is home to a variety of animals whose homes are in the water, from alligators to whale sharks. The website features webcams offering a live look at beluga whales, California sea lions, jellyfish, piranhas, puffins, sea otters, an Indo-Pacific barrier reef and the ocean floor. Details: georgiaaquarium.org
- Houston Zoo – You can go big or very small with the live cameras at the second-most visited zoo in the United States. Live cameras are trained on tiny leafcutter ants as they go about their work and at the elephants as they roam their expansive yard. Also on view are the chimpanzees, gorillas, giraffes and rhinos. Details: houstonzoo.org
- Monterey Bay Aquarium – The Monterey, California, aquarium is giving visitors a virtual look at its colorful sea creatures via free live camera streaming. Animal lovers can zen out to jellyfish or watch penguins waddling in their habitat.
- You can access many different zoos here, including Edinburgh Zoo, Marwell Zoo ,Dublin Zoo,San Diego Zoo plus many more.
Take a break from the schoolwork grids and tune in to our first ever LIVE FEED from Blair Drummond Safari Park 🙌
You’ll learn about our animals and how we look after them. Starting with the Red Ruffed Lemurs – one of the cutest (and rarest) animals at the Park.
DISNEY WORLD AND DISNEYLAND
Disney World and Disneyland are closed for the time being, but fans can still virtually roam the magical theme park.
Unlock the new world of Disney+ . Get ad-free access to all your favourites from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars™ and National Geographic with Disney’s new one-stop streaming service.
ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS
Take a deep breath and take a virtual stroll through the Royal Botanic Gardens, a UNESCO-recognized site in Kew, London. Some very kind visitors to the Royal Botanic Gardens captured panoramic shots of the stunning landscape, and they’re available to view on Google’s Street View feature.
TOUR THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA
Trips all around the world were undoubtedly canceled amid the COVID-19 outbreak, but a tour of the Great Wall of China is available for anyone who’s ever wanted to visit this wonder of the world. Here.
TAKE A TRIP TO HAWAII
As we go through high-tensioned times, keeping yourself relaxed is as important as keeping yourself clean. With the help of Google Earth, users can take a tour of some of Hawaii’s beautiful landmarks, such as Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park and Waikiki Beach. Check it out here.
LANDSCAPE VIRTUAL TOUR OF THE GREAT TROSSACHS FOREST
Set in the heart of the Loch Lomond National Park, the Great Trossachs Forest is one of the largest nature reserves in the United Kingdom and subject to one of the most significant woodland generation projects to take place in the UK for a generation. Visit here.
VIRTUAL TOUR OF LONDON
Visit London’s most stunning sites, including The London Eye, Zoo and Big Ben, here.
Transport yourself to a world landmark, like the Taj Mahal. Google’s Arts & Culture section has crystal-clear views of the Taj Mahal in New Dehli, India, as well as several other renowned spots around the world. For example, you can look down from the top of the Eiffel Tower or relax with a view of the Sydney Opera House, all while not actually traveling.
AROUND THE WORLD
You can find a great selection of tours around the world on the Exploration Junkie’s website. Check them out here.
The famed Metropolitan Opera is hosting nightly live opera streams for a week in March.
The renowned opera house is closed to the public through March 31 but will stream a performance starting at 7:30 p.m. EST every night starting Monday through Saturday, March 22.
The recordings will be available on the Met Opera homepage for 20 hours after they’re streamed at night.
Stage shows, musicals and opera you can watch online now for free here.
STAY AT HOME FESTIVAL
From Mon 23 Mar — with previews from Fri 19 Mar — you’ll be able to stream live performances from your home, courtesy of the Cosmic Shambles Network. The plan is to feature the top names in comedy and science (also music) once or twice a day for free. The majority of the performances will start at 10am or 6pm with a few exceptions. The line-up will include live comedy clubs, shows and science talks.
Visit cosmicshambles.com/stayathome for more information.
Scotland’s very first Instagram cabaret nights are here. Join host Cameron Foster and other performers as they take to the virtual stage to entertain us during a time when we need it the most. The new platform launches Sat 21 Mar and will feature 20-minute-long slots. The first line-up includes Heir of the Cursed, Craig Lithgow and Iona Lee, among others.
For more information, read our full article on Quarantine Cabaret.
NASA’s free mobile app lets space-enthusiasts virtually step into mission control.
GET YOURSELF TO MARS
International trips are one thing, but, if you’re feeling a bit more adventurous, you can take a virtual trip to Mars. The experience was adapted from JPL’s OnSight software, which assists scientists in planning rover drives and even holding meetings on Mars. Imagery from NASA’s Curiosity rover provided the terrain, allowing users to wander the actual dunes and valleys explored by the spacecraft. Click here.
NATIONAL MUSEUMS SCOTLAND
Discover more about their amazing objects through stories, films, games and resources here.
Below are some games you can play with friends, whether PC, Android or Online.
- AdventureQuest 3D is one of the newer multiplayer games on mobile. It’s an MMORPG. It features most of the stuff that you’d expect. There are tons of quests to do, various classes, raid bosses, dungeons, and there is even some crafting.
- Gameloft’s Asphalt series has some of the most popular multiplayer games out there. They’re also among the best racing games. Asphalt Xtreme is the latest game in the series.
- Hearthstone is a card-dueling game. Your goal is to build a deck with various cards and then duel other players online. There is an option to test your decks against computer controlled AI players. However, the meat and potatoes of the game is when you’re facing real players online.
- Minecraft: Pocket Edition is one of the most populars multiplayer games of all time on any platform. You’re dropped into a randomly generated world and then you can do pretty much whatever you want.
- Zynga has developed several really good multiplayer games. They include Words With Friends, Draw Something, Chess With Friends, Gems With Friends, and the newly released Crosswords With Friends. Each game lets you pair with a friend or stranger online in competitive play.
Epic’s shooter first emerged as an intriguing mix of building, sandbox, and survival elements. The original Fortnite: Save the World mode – in which you construct fortresses to combat a severe zombie threat – has now been eclipsed by the world-conquering Fortnite Battle Royale.
- League of Legends
League of Legends gives you everything you could want from a MOBA. You can go in solo to prove your superiority over others, try to master the best LOL champions, or hone your skills in whatever role you prefer. Or you could make it your regular multiplayer home with friends, either in the standard 5v5 modes or in one of several custom games available. Whether you want to be the best in the world or just bash about in well-designed systems, there is something here.
- Team Fortress 2
If you were not there when Team Fortress 2 launched, it is difficult to convey what a delirious and unexpected pleasure it was in 2007. In development longer than Pangaea, TF2 blindsided everyone when it finally arrived in its cheery and lustrous Pixar sheen. Instead of the anticipated amalgamations of biceps and military garb we expected, its cast is a brigade of slapstick comedians whose interplay provoked frequent, spirited, and genuine lols.
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive has an underwhelming origin story. A refresh of Valve’s previous refresh of a Half-Life 1 mod, CS:GO was conceived as nothing more ambitious than a console port; an experiment to see if PlayStation and Xbox gamers would engage with the Counter-Strike name.
- Rocket League
The moment someone at Psyonix said “how about football… but with cars?” one of the best multiplayer games on PC was born. Despite the failed first attempt, Rocket League’s success is down to its streamlined design: you just push a ball across a pitch with a car. It is hardly something only hardcore petrol heads can understand.
The best multiplayer games are all about having fun with friends – and exploding the noggins of internet randoms, of course. That said, Ghost Town Games’ Overcooked will strain the seams of even the strongest of friendships.
It is easy to be cynical about Worms, now entering its third decade with a penchant for platform proliferation. Chop a turn-based party game from Team17 in half, myth has it, and two new groups of the slippery blighters will spring writhing from its remains. But the (apple) core ensures it remains one of the best multiplayer games on PC: 30 seconds in which you must steer your pink avatar around a pockmarked landscape with the aim of blasting, batting, and Super Sheep-ing an opponent into dust before their turn starts.
- SCRABBLE – Play the classic game of SCRABBLE free with up to three other players.
- Canasta. Play online games like Canasta.
- Spades. Pair up with a partner in this four-player online card game of wits.
- Jungle Gin.
- Bingo Luau.
- Go bowling online with 20 other players in Pogo Bowl.
- Board Game arena– Play board games online free
25 Video Games That Allow You to Travel and Cure Wanderlust
Travel may have changed forever and for some trips abroad to far-flung destinations could be a long way off. Wanderlust is calling and it’s hard to scratch the itch.
Luckily for us, there are several video games that will allow you to explore multiple places and worlds, all from the comfort of our homes. In just a few clicks you can be flying over mountains, traversing jungles, driving through the British countryside, or diving under the sea.
Find out more here.
A Harry Potter themed Digital Escape Room!
You can complete this escape room as a family or individual, you can compete against friends and try it multiple times. Just make sure you have fun!
Check it our here.
Pop stars live-stream concerts from home
Stars including Coldplay, Yungblud and Christine And The Queens are live-streaming gigs to combat the “boredom” of self-isolation due to coronavirus.
Simply go on Instagram, search for an artist to see if they’re live streaming.
To watch their livestream, simply click their avatar. You can also find live videos by clicking the Explore tab. On the Stories bar, found on the top image and videos, you’ll see popular Live videos at the moment.