Grants & Bursaries

Finding Your Feet does not offer grants or bursaries.

Here are some sources which provide funding for individuals Рsome of which offer to fund by region. We will add more sources as/when we come across them.  If you know of any other sources, please get in touch and let us know.

BCH Foundation is a registered charity that helps older people and other adults with a disability across England, Scotland & Wales. They favour applications that help improve people’s mobility, independence and quality of life. Their grants range from £100 up to £5,000, with the average grant in 2018 being approx. £850.  For more information and to apply for a grant click here.

Extra financial support to help with the costs of further and higher education may be available from a trust fund. Some of them require applications to be made by a third party. It should be noted that all grants are discretionary and subject to available funding. Grants can be awarded for materials, resources and services that are not available through statutory funding. Examples include computer equipment, books and childcare.

You can search funding sources here.

You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:

  • widen doors and install ramps
  • improve access to rooms and facilities – eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

A Disabled Facilities Grant won’t affect any benefits you get and is available in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

For more information and to apply please click here.

The Driving Ambitions Grant is aimed at helping children/young adults get started as drivers.

The grant is only for young people with no experience of driving. If driving lessons have already started you may want to think of an alternative grant. Family Fund cannot help with ongoing driving lesson support.

Whilst they cannot help with ongoing driving lessons, the grant can help get your child/young adult started with a combination of:

  • Provisional licence
  • Theory test
  • Learning materials e.g. Highway Code or Theory Test booklet/DVD
  • Your first taster lesson
  • Funding towards Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) for moped riders

To apply for the grant and for more information check them out here.

The popularity of pedal assisted electric bikes or ebikes for short, has been growing year on year. They are a good alternative to a normal bike especially if your route includes hills, is more than 5 miles long or if you need an extra boost on the road.

If you are considering purchasing an ebike there is a new, exciting funding opportunity available in Scotland through Energy Saving Trust. They offer an interest-free loan to buy an ebike. This scheme is funded by Transport Scotland (an agency of the Scottish Government).

For more information click here.

There are some things that money can buy and which can make a big difference to quality of life.

Ecas gives out grants to help meet the costs of items or services which you can’t get through welfare benefits and other sources. For example, they’ve helped people buy furniture, white goods and electronic goods; pay for a holiday; meet student fees; and more.

Grants Fund

Who can apply?   We accept applications from physically disabled people resident in Edinburgh and the Lothians.
How can I apply?   You can download an application form from our Website, phone 0131 475 2344/07500 221618 or email


Friendship, company and connection.
Ecas befriending offers friendship and companionship for isolated, physically disabled adults (over 18) living in Edinburgh.

More info on all of the above at the following link:

If you think you or a loved one could benefit from having a stairlift installed, you may be worried about how to pay for it. A stairlift is a big investment that could greatly improve your life, but the relatively high initial cost may seem prohibitive.

However, if money is a concern, don’t entirely dismiss the idea of getting a stairlift before you have explored all the options, as you may be eligible for financial assistance.

Financial aid to help pay for stairlifts and other home adaptations is available from a number of sources, including government grants and funding from charitable organisations.

Check out their website here to learn about the different types of financial aid that you might qualify for, which could make installing a stairlift a realistic and affordable solution for you.

Energy bills are a concern for many people. Our consumer research regularly highlights that large numbers of UK residents are worried about their energy costs, and would like to do something about it.

Being more energy efficient at home is one way to reduce your bill payments. But often, you need to invest in home improvements before you can access the biggest savings. Financial help is available in a number of circumstances, with the focus very much on keeping warm for less.

Find our more information here.


  • Do you¬†own¬†your home?
  • Are you, or a member of your household disabled, or have problems getting around?
  • Does your home need changed so that it meets your needs? Or the needs of someone else in your household?
  • Are the changes needed essential?
  • Do you need help paying for the work?

If you answer ‘¬†yes‘ to any of these questions then you may be able to get help in paying for this work.

Everyone can get information and advice about their mobility problems. Your local Social Work Services will look at the difficulties you are facing and tell you about any help available to you.

You can download this leaflet for more information. Funding Leaflet.

Home adaptations are changes you can make to your home. These make it safer and easier to move around and do everyday tasks.

Your local council offers a service that assesses your home and recommends changes to help. Having a home assessment is free.

For more information check out the information here from NHS.

Independence at Home works to improve the independence and quality of life of people of all ages with long term illnesses or disability.

It provides grants up to £500 to people of all ages who have a physical or learning disability or long term illness and who are in financial need.

Grants may be used towards the cost of mobility and disability equipment, home adaptations and other essential items not available from public funds.

This may include:

  • Mobility and travel equipment¬†(wheelchairs, trikes, scooters, car seats)
  • Specialist disability equipment¬†(hoists, chairs, beds, safe space)
  • Home adaptations¬†(kitchen, bathroom and garden)
  • Communications equipment¬†(computer, CCTV, communication aids, telephones)
  • Home repairs (windows, doors, electrical)
  • Kitchen equipment¬†(disabled access, washing machine, oven)
  • Beds and bedding¬†(mattress, orthopaedic bed)
  • General furnishing¬†(flooring, carpets, furniture)
  • Heating grants¬†(heating and fuel costs, heating appliances)
  • Miscellaneous¬†(therapeutic toys; play equipment; crash mat; removal expenses; holidays (Neurological conditions only).

Individuals will need to be referred by an appropriate professional such as Social Worker, Occupational Therapist or Disability Advice Worker.

An application form can be downloaded from their website and they accept applications throughout the year.

ILF Scotland’s Transition Fund¬†provides money, for up to one year, to support young people living with disabilities to improve their lives.¬†¬†The purpose of the Fund is to help young people, between the ages of 16 and 21 living with disabilities, with the transition after leaving school to be more independent.¬†¬† The money can be used for things like art or music lessons,¬†a device or piece of technology to help you with your impairment,¬†driving lessons, and training courses. For more information click here.

The document below encloses a list of charitable trusts which provide grants to individuals for educational or other purposes. Some of the available grants are area specific, others are national grants and are available to individuals all over Scotland, but may depend on another set of eligibility criteria.

For a downloadable guide to funding with training and education, click here

The NABD is the world leader in the field of motorcycling with a disability.

It is able to offer financial assistance towards the cost of special adaptations for motorcycles, scooters, motorcycle/sidecar combinations and trikes.

Grants can range from £250 to £2,000 depending on the type of machine and the needs of the rider.

Applications for funding will only be accepted from those living in the UK, Eire, Isle of Man and the Channel Isles.

For more information email:

Mobility Matters

Mobility is a human right. Prosthetic limbs and orthotic braces are assistive technologies which enable people with physical disabilities to be more mobile. In turn, mobility can help those with limb amputations or dysfunctional limbs to access education, work, activities of daily living, and a social life (including sport).

The mobility needs of people in the UK and the mobility needs of people in developing countries are equally important. We believe that people with physical disabilities have the right to achieve all they can be in the context of their own environment. We provide grant funding so that we can respond to the needs expressed to us via grant applications from prosthetic or orthotic users, other charities or rehabilitation professionals, rather than all our activity being only trustee driven.

For more information please contact:

Email: Mrs Sandra Sexton, Chair of Trustees:

Post correspondence to:  Mr Stewart Bondi, Trustee & Secretary.
PORT-ER, 1 Nelson close, Teignmouth, Devon, England, United Kingdom. TQ14 9NH



NHS Referral

It is possible to apply for funding from the NHS to pay for prosthetic treatment from an independent rehabilitation provider.

This process is known as an ‚ÄúExceptional Treatment‚ÄĚ application and is made by your Doctor (GP) to your Primary Care Trust (PCT). PCTs are not obliged to fund all applications; therefore not all requests are successful.

If you feel that your prosthetic needs are ‚Äėnot being met‚Äô by your current NHS provider, visit your GP to discuss the matter. It may be prudent to have a record of your appointments, details of issues/difficulties that you have experienced and what impact this has had on you and your mobility and quality of life.

Ask your GP to help you complete an ‚ÄúExceptional Treatment‚ÄĚ application on your behalf. This application can only be made by your GP, however your input is encouraged to strengthen your application.

Self-directed Support allows people, their carers and their families to make informed choices on what their support looks like and how it is delivered, making it possible to meet agreed personal outcomes.

Having more choice and control is empowering. We should all be equal partners in making decisions that affect us. This leads to more of us being confident and independent and achieving our aspirations for a happier, healthier and more fulfilled life.

Support and care have a vital role to play in ensuring everyone can enjoy the same human rights – dignity, equality of opportunity and access. And, having greater control of your life and decision making leads to improved health and wellbeing.

Self-directed Support includes a range of options to ensure everyone can exercise choice and control:

  • a Direct Payment (a cash payment);
  • funding allocated to a provider of your choice (sometimes called an individual service fund, where the council holds the budget but the person is in charge of how it is spent);
  • the council can arrange a service for you; or
  • you can choose a mix of these options for different types of support.
What can you use self-directed support for?

Self-directed Support can be used in many ways. You can get support to live in your own home, such as help with eating, having a bath and getting dressed.

Out of the home it could support you to go to college, to continue in employment or take a job, or to enjoy leisure pursuits more. Instead of relying on the activities run at a day centre, you might arrange for a personal assistant (PA) to help you attend local classes, go swimming, or be a volunteer helping others. It could also be used to provide a short break (respite) or for equipment and temporary adaptations.

You can choose whether you would prefer to get support from a service provider such as a voluntary organisation or care agency, or by employing PA’s, or a combination of both.

For more advice and guidance go to the SDS website. 

State of the Art Prosthetics Service

The national State of the Art (SOTA) prosthetics service became operational in April 2014 and is provided through the limb fitting rehabilitation centres in Edinburgh and Glasgow, with links to the Aberdeen, Inverness and Dundee centres.

The provision of SOTA prosthetics will be based on an agreed clinical pathway and multi-disciplinary assessment on an individual case by case basis, regardless of veteran or other civilian status.

Individuals who feel State of the Art prosthetics would be beneficial to them and would be clinically appropriate should formally register their interest with their local Prosthetics Centre.

This service is also available in England, please contact your local limb fitting centre for more details.

The ACT Foundation provides grants to both disabled adults and children.  It aims to enhance the quality of life for people in need, particularly those who have a physical or mental disability or the aged who are living in poverty.

It provides grants up to £2,500 for a range of items.  This might include:

  • Mobility aids
  • Specialised seating and car seats
  • Specialised beds and sleep systems
  • Sensory toys and equipment, room padding
  • Communication aids, specialised software
  • Respite breaks at a registered centre (applicant only)
  • Vehicle adaptations

To apply download an application form.  Applications can be made at any time of the year.

“Every year we provide a huge number of grants to support children when they are sick. We also support larger grants to allow services to develop or advanced care to be given and we provide training bursaries for nurses. NHS¬†Staff and parents can apply.

We provide grants for many projects including:

  • for individual children currently in the care of the NHS
  • to support families during extended hospital admissions
  • to support NHS child health staff to undertake advanced training courses
  • to fund specialist equipment
  • to fund specialist staff posts
  • research into illnesses affecting local children
  • refurbishment or development of existing facilities

If it will make a difference for a child being treated in hospital, or with an ongoing healthcare issue, then we are happy to hear from you see if we can assist.”

If you’re in the Grampian, Highlands or Tayside region, check out their website for more information, here.

The Hospital Saturday Fund provides grants to individuals from the UK and the Republic of Ireland.

It is able to help with the purchase of specialised equipment and practical forms of treatment.  This includes:

  • Mobility equipment such as wheelchairs and mobility scooters
  • Medical appliances and aids such as hearing aids,nebulisers and computer equipment
  • Therapeutic equipment and treatments such orthopaedic beds,riser/recliner chairs and complementary therapies
  • Home adaptations – walk in showers, access ramps, stair lifts
  • Miscellaneous – respite breaks at a therapeutic centre

To apply: Either download an application form or complete the online form on the website.

The Fund is also able to provide grants to registered health charities.

The Mobility Trust provides equipment such as wheelchairs and mobility scooters following an assessment by an independent Occupational Therapist (OT) sent by the Trust.

The OT will then prescribe the most suitable piece of equipment for an individual.

Equipment is only provided if it is not available from statutory sources or the disabled person is unable to purchase for themselves.

To apply write a letter outlining why you need the equipment and details of your disability to Mrs Anne Munn, Mobility Trust, 17b Reading Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7LR.  Find out more information on their website here.

The Percy Bilton Charity (providing grants for disabled individuals):

Assistance is given to organisations and individuals in need throughout the U.K.

Charities assisting disadvantaged youth, people with disabilities, people with mental health problems and older people may apply for grants towards furnishings and equipment (excluding office items), building or refurbishment projects.

Social Workers, Community Psychiatric Nurses and Occupational Therapists within Local Authorities or NHS Trusts may apply on behalf of individuals in financial need who have a disability or severe mental health problem, or who are over 65 on low income, for basic household items including white goods, single beds, flooring and clothing vouchers. An application form may be requested by one of these professionals by emailing or telephoning the Charity.

Contact Details

  • 020 8579 2829

  • The Percy Bilton Charity, Bilton House,
    7 Culmington Road,
    Ealing, London,
    W13 9NB

Turn2us is a national charity providing practical help to people who are struggling financially.
Use their grant search tool to see if you can access any funding here.